Friday, January 9, 2009

Good tree == Good Fruit


TEL_3482, originally uploaded by Thomas Lester.

Today's quiet time readings.

Jesus tells us we can tell a good tree by it's good fruits. He teaches that in the same way that people should be able to tell that we are Christians by our fruit or works. This is scripture that is easily mistaken. This DOES NOT mean that our works get us into heaven. The Bible is very clear that declaring Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour is the ONLY way to heaven. But, once we have made that declaration, we should be at least a little big recognizable by our behavior, the fruits of the spirit, and are desire to cary out God's instructions.

I love how Jesus never says that we have to see the fruit to become a Christian. You can't have fruit before the tree. Let me say that again.... you can't have fruit before the tree. What does this mean? This means that Jesus wants us to come to him as we are. Then, he will begin to transform us into a tree that bares good fruit. Jesus does NOT expect us to get our act together before coming to him. He want's us right where we are. Then, He'll position us in fertile soil, feed us with living water, and grow us into beautiful trees that grown beautiful and very recognizable fruit.

Yes... I took that picture this morning specifically for this scripture. See... the lamp is kind of like a tree and the apple is the fruit. Get it? The blurry (that's called "bokkeh", for the non-photography crowd) black pot in the background was where I made spaghetti and meatballs last night. I made some tasty meatballs!!!

I'm starting to get better at waking up early. Tomorrow, we are going to the farmers market to stock up on fruits and veggies for our 21 day fast. Heather is doing the "Daniel fast" of just fruits and veggies. I'm either going to do all fresh juice or only water. I haven't decided, yet. I may do all water and see if I pass out! Ha! If I do, then I'll start doing just juice. I did just juice last year for 9 days. That was a good start. I hope to go all 21 days this year.

No comments: