Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A New Motto For Hilton Head


TEL_0505, originally uploaded by Thomas Lester.

I've got a new slogan for the marketing folks at Hilton Head Island. It would go something like this: "Hilton Head Island... like one of those free, extremely high pressure time share sales vacations, only at Hilton Head it's definitely not free, it's expensive AND we'll charge you twice what we should for all our expensive, but not so great restaurants."

How does that sound?

Don't get me wrong. It's very pretty, but in a very neutral way. All the buildings are the same color, there are barely any street signs, you have to be slightly mental to find your way around. I'm having a good time, but I really do feel like I'm on a free time share vacation sale pitch thing. They are EVERYWHERE! We go to a restaurant and the have sales people at every entrance and exit. We went to Wal-Mart and they have a team out front selling. I almost went to a dinner for Breakfast, but when I saw the "red shirts" (all these sales people where a red polo) surrounding the parking lot I just kept going. You can't do anything without getting accosted by these people. What's also weird is that everyone that owns property here or a timeshare is from Ohio. Very strange...

No comments: